Sunday, January 4, 2009

Weekend Happenings

Our friends got a new version of Rock Band for Christmas, so they loaned us their older version. We played for hours Saturday and Sunday, and it's been confirmed...I can't sing. I've always suspected, but I kind of hoped that if I really let loose and tried my best, in the privacy of my own home, free from the embarrassment of friends and family hearing me try, I'd at least be OK. Turns out I'm not. So very, very not.

I'd like to take this time to apologize to my family, our pets, my son's friends, and quite possibly our neighbors: from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry everyone. I'd like to say I'd quit trying, but I won't. I'm having way too much fun pretending I'm Jon Bon Jovi and that I do, in fact, rock those streets. Just like I did at 13, I'm sure. [Feel free to insert joke here about being wanted more dead than alive when I sing.] And my character, she's friggin' hot. This is quite literally the only place I could get away with wearing a mini that short. Or a mini at all, for that matter.

****

Our open house was sadly uneventful. Mostly people looking because their house is on the market but hadn't sold yet, or people looking who may or may not be moving to our town, or something along those lines. I'm sure there will be no forthcoming offers. But on the positive side, my house is really, really clean, and I will pick up the few things that need to be picked up today to keep it that way. I may even manage to finish all my laundry. Woo hoo!

****

BW and I talked about getting back to home schooling. The last few weeks have been all about holidays and playing with the neighborhood kids, rather than, oh, say, math. Unless you count practical, every day math (which I totally do), as in, "I really want that PowerWing and it costs a hundred dollars. If I have $20, how long will it take me to earn the rest?"

I got him to bed at a normal time last night. I'm not good at enforcing bed times. I'm on the fence about them and as a home schooler, there is some flexibility. I've been letting him stay up pretty late, but now that I'm about to start school again, I think we need a better routine. Plus, there's been some minor trouble with BW following rules and instructions, so it looks like I'm giving him more responsibility then he can handle right now. Time to nip that little habit in the bud. (Which is a totally silly saying, but I can't think of anything more clever right now.)

****

I signed up for LibraryThing (thank you, Deana!), which is great if you're a book geek like me. You can keep track of all the books you read, which I've always wanted to do but never had a handy dandy website with which to do it. And I'm way too lazy to actually write down the titles on paper. I'm really not sure I'm much more likely to record them online, but I'm gonna do my best. I just wish I would have done it last year, because last year I took the semester off school to get our house ready to go on the market. And I read A LOT. Like three or four books a week on some weeks, and sometimes more.

****

I decided on a few "resolutions" this weekend. You'll note there are quotation marks around resolutions. That is because there is less actual resolve (to deal with successfully or to make a firm decision about, according to Webster), and more ambivalence [continual fluctuation (as between one thing and its opposite)].

So. I will try to further my goals of eating healthier, eating more raw, whole foods, eating less crappy, processed foods. I will try to keep my house cleaner, keep my laundry from piling up on the couch, and keep my dishes done. I will try to exercise more and to watch Dr. Who and/or The Real Housewives of Orange County and/or What I Like About You marathons less, or at the very least, I will try to exercise while watching Dr. Who and/or TRHOOC and/or WILAY marathons. And, last but never least, I will try to bring more fun and joy into home schooling, even if it means playing board games I really hate.

****

The End

No comments: