Monday, December 22, 2008

The same old tricks

When I was young, I couldn't stand the anticipation of Christmas. I obsessed about the presents I was going to get, and ultimately could not live with the suspense. There were several years that I snuck into my mother's closet, carefully unwrapped my Christmas gifts, took a peak, and re-wrapped the gifts. (Sorry, mom.) It took me a while to figure out that Christmas morning was always a let down after that - having no surprises under the tree kind of sucked.

We told BW there would be no gifts, but, as I mentioned, we bought a few things for a surprise stocking. I found some Webkinz on sale, and bought a few books and some candy for BW to find come Christmas morning.

I had my suspicions that he'd found my stash. He kept asking what I was getting for the child we're giving our Christmas too, asking if I was going to give someone else Webkinz, asking if I was sure I wasn't getting him a little something for Christmas. He even asked what was in the bag on the top shelf of my closet.

Today, he admitted the truth. He'd known since last week. He wasn't sure it was for him, but he figured it was. We had a conversation about lying, about going through things that weren't his, about not having anything to open on Christmas day. I was more disappointed that my surprise was ruined, that I didn't get to see BW receive his unexpected gifts, than I was that he found his presents. But it's a little hard to be upset when I did basically the same thing as a child. Although it did cross my mind to torture him by buying some Muppet toys for him to open on Thursday - he's still oddly frightened of The Muppets. But that would be mean, right?

So, Christmas came early at our house this year. What can you do?

No comments: