Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Good Morning!

I've been away so long! I'm not even keeping up with my friends' blogs anymore, it's terrible.

My bloggy friend updated me with her new place, so I thought I'd repay her by returning from the land of the lost. You're welcome, Sheri. ;)

So. What's new . . . . In no particular order:

I'm switching to part-time in April. MM's working somewhat (cough) steadily - it's construction-ish, so you know how that is - and we're taking the plunge so I can be home more with BW. We're hoping the money he makes in the good times will get us through the not so good ones. We'll see. I'm excited, but nervous. As usual. You know, worried that this is the wrong choice, but really wanting to be home more. I'll be working three days a week. There's a possibility of maybe working from home those days, too, which would be lovely.

While I'm worried about being able to afford it, my hubby is doing his best to let me know that this is the right decision. For instance:

BW comes home from school wearing nothing but shorts and a short sleeved shirt. When we had a high 50 degrees and rain all day. I, having had surgery that morning, (more on that next) was not there to see him off to school. When I question this clothing choice to MM, his response is "Well, I told him it was going to be cold today!". Oh, well, as long as you TRIED to prevent him from freezing, it's all good. It's a good thing we don't live in Alaska.

WTF? MM tries, he really does, but basics like clothing and regular meals escape him. He does the same type of thing for dinner.

BW: I'm hungry. I didn't eat dinner and now I'm STARVING.
MM: I asked him if he wanted anything, and he said no.
Me: But he didn't eat anything but snacky stuff and now it's 9:30 and I'm trying to put him in bed, and he's starving.
MM: But he said he wasn't hungry when I asked. I ASKED!!
Me: Arghhhh!!!!

So, me getting home at 9:30 at night is just not working. My new schedule will have me home by 7:30, still able to take BW to school every morning, and home two of five school days. I'm not sure if we'll be able to get back to homeschooling next year with this schedule, but I'm determined to try. We're going to see how the summer goes and decide from there. Cross your fingers. BW wants it, I want it, we'll just have to see if it'll work out.

Now for the surgery. Did I mention I'm growing pearls in my feet? I think I talked about this foot surgery before - I had it last August. I had that splintery thing in my foot. No one could figure out what it was. It turned out to be some sort of calcium deposit in my heel. Oddly enough, it came back, in a slightly different area, bigger and ouchier than last time. I had the surgery again to have it removed yesterday. This time, I'll follow up with an appointment with a podiatrist and hopefully they can tell me what the hell it is and how to prevent it, because this is starting to suck.

This time, I'm taking time off work to care for it. Last time, I rushed back to work, didn't use the crutches or keep it elevated like I was supposed to, and walked around way too much way too soon. I don't know that that had anything to do with it coming back, but I'm not risking it this time. Luckily at work they're being very supportive. Of course, I'm sure they'll be somewhat less so if I miss work for this again, so my foot better cooperate. This is becoming inconvenient.

So, other than that, nothing new going on. I'm still trying to finish my semester of school - only about a month left. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. We're still trying to figure out what we're going to do house-wise. We did decide to stay in the apartment another year or so, we'll have to see how the money thing play out for us with me working p/t.
I'm going to start a garden at my mom's place to make myself feel better about it.

We're all just sort of hunkering down to see what happens next. Which is always kind of exciting around here.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

"I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up."

Bahaha, I say that ALL.THE.TIME.

Nothing like financial insecurity to keep the heart pumping eh?

Sorry to hear about your foot, I remember you talking about it before. I hope it heals quickly.

And thanks for the shout out and the update.

I've missed you. :)

Vicki said...

Totally get the hunkering down and waiting part!! Seems the story of my decade! While I would never choose to give up this free life, I sometimes think it would be a lot easier if we just did what we were told & got that good job, with that good company, worked until retirement or death (whichever was better after 25 yrs)....but nah! I guess I'll stick with the not knowing! :)

lisafer said...

Sheri: I've missed you, too! I'm hoping working fewer hours will get me back to blogging. I do miss it. For a while I didn't want to even think about it, but, I'm ready for it again!

Vicki: I know, I know. I'm trying to find the balance in between some freedom and a minimum of security. There has got to be a way, right??? A way to make all of us happy??? Tell me there's a way!!!! :)