Sunday, March 28, 2010

Back to the Basics

Have I mentioned that we're staying in our apartment for another year? I'm sure I have. Anyway, rather than being disappointed about all the things I CAN'T do, I'm figuring to ways to get back the things that I enjoyed and that were important to me.

Recycling: I'm sad to say that I've quit completely. Laziness, lack of space, lack of time, lack of energy, lack of spousal support - all have gotten to me, and I've just quit. I'm going to start up again, and my lovely friend Cathe has made it easier for me by allowing me to just bring it to her house and dump it in her city bin. I won't even have to sort. I'm starting back up again immediately.

Gardening: I have little room for it. The only good place is the balcony the cats have currently taken over. So, we decided to do raised beds over at my mom's house. She's excited about it, willing to foot the bill for half, and I've been doing the research on getting started here in the desert for the last few months. We're finally about ready to go. Well, we have the stuff, anyway. I'm out of commission, so I'll just be directing which is really more up my alley, so hey, it's win win.

Home schooling: BW is convinced he wants to go back to it. MM's less than thrilled, but I'm all for it. I'm switching to part time next month and I'll only go in three days a week, so we're going to try it again. BW will finish out the school year, and then we'll go back to some sort of year round version of education at home. This time around I'll focus a bit more on the basic, measurable things like math and spelling so MM will be more comfortable with it. Last time we did some, but I mostly believe in the learn it when you need it theory. It seemed to work, BW went back to school with out any issues, but I do get that theory is not within MM's comfort zone, so I'll try to do home education in a way that's good for all of us.

Even though BW's still in school, I've signed him up for park membership and he'll start a few fun classes next month. We're looking at three. One is archeology for kids - a one day workshop; one is ceramics - a one day a week month long program; and third is tennis, a one day a week six week program. The ceramics one is a little far from our house, so we may skip that it. I think between things like that and joining up with our local hs community, we'll be able to meet his social/entertainment needs. I'm looking forward to starting up again.

In addition to this, I'm attempting to not buy anything new until the end of the year. Used, yes, new no. At least for myself. MM and BW are exempt. I am bending the rule at socks and underwear. We'll see how this goes, but, I figure between the lowered income of working part-time, the desire to get rid of the clutter, and just trying to back off on all the STUFF I own, this should help.

So, that's all that's new. And now that it's taken me forever to type this one-handed, I bid you all farewell.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I love those goals. I'm doing the same thing. Since we can't move anytime soon, I'm getting back to doing all the things I let lapse when I was hoping we were.

Congrats on getting back to homeschooling. I totally get the Hubby not buying wholly into your theory. That's why Chris does math sheets with Emma once a week.

Makes him feel better and that way he's not bugging me about it. ;)

I kind of fell into not buying anything new by Hubby being unemployed for much of last year. But it doesn't take long to figure out that we way over spend on new when perfectly servicable second hand items can be pretty much had for a song.

Though, I'm with you on the undergarments. That's where I draw the line. :P

lisafer said...

We're living parallel lives, Sheri. :) We always seem to be in the same place. I love it!!