Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happenings

This is going to be a hodgepodge of updates all crammed into one post. Bear with me.

M2's Grandfather passed away Saturday. He was 98 years old. He was a huge part of M2's life and she's going to miss him so much. My heart breaks for her, T, and the kids. Grandpa loved ice cream, he ate it nearly every day and was always trying to give it to the kids. M2 has declared this Ice Cream Week in his honor, so please, go have some ice cream in memory of a wonderful man.

I've made it to Phoenix! We got here early Tuesday morning, and have spent the last day trying to organize a bit. We still have things all over the place - in storage, at friends' houses, at my mom's place - and it's crazy. I'm sure it's going to be a few weeks before I'm comfortable at M1's place. We plan on staying there until the end of the year, and hopefully won't be living out of suitcases the whole time.

It's not even June and it's already pretty warm here. I am NOT looking forward to this time next month. I just keep telling myself that it's only truly miserable here in Phoenix about four months out of the year. The rest of the time it's quite pleasant.

I was given a contingency offer for the job I interviewed for a few weeks ago. My background check hasn't come back yet,* but as long as that's clear I'll have a job. I start either the end of this month or the end of next month, depending on how quickly the check is completed.

I'm happy I don't have to search any further - I hate interviews and job searches and all that - but I'm a little disappointed that I have to go back to work before I finish school. It's really not a big deal, but, you know, just not what we had planned. The fact that I was offered a good job with great benefits and pay** we can live with in this economy, well, let's just say it's a big relief. We still are pretty secure financially, but the move and paying off our debts took a considerable amount of our profit from the sale of our house. It's nice to be working again while we still have a bit of a nest egg.

We're leaving for Vegas tomorrow. We've got a long weekend planned with the three of us, M1 and her two kids. I know Vegas isn't generally a family vacation spot, but we've rented a condo with a kitchen and we plan on doing a lot of family friendly things. I'm excited about going! With three adults, we'll be able to rotate child duties and get a little gambling in. It should work pretty well - we decided to spend a little to go on this trip, but having the kids will definitely keep us from spending more than we budget. Which is funny, because usually the opposite is true with our family. I'm a sucker when it comes to buying BW stuff on trips.

That's about it. Hopefully I'll be back to blogging regularly next week sometime, as I get settled in. I hope to establish some sort of routine, and I'm sure going back to work will force that particular issue of mine!

*****

*I'm always afraid that something horrible is going to be found. I have no idea why, there's really nothing to find. But until it comes back clear, I'm always a little paranoid. I'm strange like that.

**Which is roughly half of what MM was making, with the options of bonuses and overtime. We won't have a lot left over at the end of the week, but we'll make it until. We still hope to keep one of us home with BW until he's much older.

1 comment:

Zayna said...

Hehe, I'm like that too with background checks.

Can't think of a reasonable reason to be nervous but always am until I get the call that everything checked out okay...phew!

I really hope that things settle down asap for you.