Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Walk in Which the Cactus all Looked Like Penises

We got up early-ish this morning, and went to the skate park. While BW and MM messed around on their boards, I set my playlist to Rob Thomas and got to walking. M1 and I have decided that we will be walking across the Golden Gate Bridge this fall as part of our lose weight/start exercising more challenge, and today is finally DAY ONE of my walking plan. I've been putting it off for a week because I'm being lazy.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera, because when I rounded a corner, I saw this:



An Agave in bloom.

And then I saw four more. I was surrounded by them, these towering, twenty foot tall, phallic blooms.

I was trying to find a picture here to show you, and while none really captured the true penis-like nature of the plants I saw, the picture above came close.

I also learned, while looking for pictures, that most agave plants bloom dramatically and then die.

There's a metaphor in there somewhere, I'm almost sure of it.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Hehehe, geeze you'd think I was 6 years old the way I giggled at this.

Awesome looking plants though. You won't find anything like that around here.

:)

lisafer said...

They are pretty incredible. And I found out they aren't actually cacti, too. Learn something new every day!